[FUN_Mail] advice needed

Tasker, Jeffrey G tasker at tulane.edu
Wed Mar 27 14:24:08 EDT 2013

Dear Carol,

When we started our undergraduate neuroscience major by combining existing Psychology and Cell and Molecular Biology courses a little over 10 years ago, it grew very quickly to become the 2nd or 3rd largest major in the School of Science and Engineering at Tulane (behind Psychology and tied with Cell and Molecular Biology).  This, and the fact that the admissions office uses it as a tool to recruit good students, present an enormous monetary and prestige incentive for the administration to keep the program going.  What's more, interest in neuroscience is growing  at the K-12 level, as evidenced (anecdotally) by increased interest in weekend and summer programs that we offer to high school students.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jeff Tasker

Jeffrey Tasker
Director, Neuroscience Program
Catherine and Hunter Pierson Chair in Neuroscience
Professor, Cell and Molecular Biology
Tulane University