[FUN_Mail] FW: FW: FUN Newsletter - President's Message and Conversation

Calin-Jageman, Robert rcalinjageman at dom.edu
Mon Jun 30 09:29:19 EDT 2014

From: Fox, Cecilia [mailto:foxc at moravian.edu]
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2014 3:45
To: Hildebrand, John G - (jhildebr)
Cc: FUN_Mail at lists.funfaculty.org
Subject: Re: [FUN_Mail] FW: FUN Newsletter - President's Message and Conversation

Many thanks to all of you for this interesting series of comments.  As neuroscience professors at liberal arts institutions, we have the opportunity to cross many disciplines when teaching concepts related to the brain and behavior.   In fact, I encourage my majors to not only study neuroscience, but to double major or minor in another area of interest.  Of course, some like to stay within their comfort zone of the sciences (Chemistry or Physics) but recently, a larger number of students are also taking clusters of courses in photography, ethics, music, business and so on, since they want to have a breadth of experiences that may serve them well in their future career path.

In advising these students, many have aspirations of attending medical or graduate school.  As we all know, some will succeed and some will not.  As their academic advisor, I have always viewed my role as one that encourages these aspirations but provides realistic advice.  I ensure every major has a "plan B" should their first choice not be realized upon graduation from college.   It has been essential to work with our Career Center to help identify particular marketable skill sets in our students.  As was mentioned earlier, the development of critical and creative thinking skills are important for the future success of our majors.  In fact, as technology advances, we may actually be training our students for careers that do not even exist right now!

We need to be proactive and develop skill sets in our students that will serve them well beyond areas in scientific disciplines (communication, computer science, business, social justice, etc).   Some of my majors who have gone on to pursue graduate degrees are engaged in professions ranging from lobbyists to researchers to art directors.   In my view, the "tenured track PhD professor" may easily be considered the "alternative" career rather than the norm.

But, if we are to continue training future neuroscientists, it is also our responsibility to serve as advocates for our cause.  We need to contact our local political representatives to express the importance of educating this next generation of physicians, scientists and educators.  As an organization, we need to ensure that funding for NSF and NIH remains strong rather than dwindles....as has been the case in recent years.  We can engage our local SfN chapters in this effort to provide a consistent and cohesive message.  As someone who serves on the SfN Governance and Public Affairs committee, I have seen the value of this work first hand.  The key is to not only share our voices, but those of our undergraduates.  When organized, they can provide the heart and soul of this message as it relates to the future of our country's well being and prosperity.

Kind regards,
Cecilia Fox

Cecilia M. Fox, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
Director of the Neuroscience Program
President of the Lehigh Valley Society for Neuroscience Chapter
Moravian College
1200 Main Street
Bethlehem, PA 18018
610-861-1426