[FUN_Mail] FW: [Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience newsletter] Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience newsletter

Gizerian, Samantha via FUN_Mail fun_mail at lists.funfaculty.org
Mon Sep 8 13:16:47 EDT 2014

Call me old school, but the paper that really blew my mind, and continues to amaze students is Hodgkin and Huxley J. Physiol. (1952) 117, 500-44.  (here: http://www.sfn.org/~/media/SfN/Documents/ClassicPapers/ActionPotentials/hodgkin5.ashx)  The whole series is great, but the last paper summing up the experiments is really the one that is amazing.  In context of the time and techniques available, it is a pretty stunning achievement as well.  Not to mention that finally we have the tangible connection that students are looking for between the physics they didn't want to learn and the neuroscience they signed up for.

Sam

Samantha S Gizerian, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Associate Director for Undergraduate Studies
Dept. of Integrative Physiology and Neuroscience
College of Veterinary Medicine
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-7620
sgizerian at vetmed.wsu.edu