[FUN_Mail] FW: [Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience newsletter] Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience newsletter

Platt, Christopher (NIH/NIDCD) [E] via FUN_Mail fun_mail at lists.funfaculty.org
Mon Sep 8 17:33:15 EDT 2014

More old school:

Lettvin JY, Maturana HR, McCulloch WS, Pitts WH (1959)  What the frog's eye tells the frog's brain.  Proc Inst Radio Engr 47 (11): 1940-1951.

Amazing in value of the data and inferences given the seeming simplicity of the experiments.  At the time seen by some as an irreverent approach (typical for Lettvin), now a classic for what's become 'neuroethology'.  Transformative.  Great for UG discussions on weighing low-tech vs high-tech experiments in context of fundamental questions, too.

It is fun (!) to see other familiar names sending stuff in!
Christopher

Christopher Platt, Ph.D.
Central Pathways for Hearing & Balance
National Institute on Deafness & Other