[FUN_Mail] Fwd: Another classic paper

Megan Hagenauer via FUN_Mail fun_mail at lists.funfaculty.org
Tue Sep 9 10:09:58 EDT 2014

Great discussion!

My contributions have a sleep/circadian slant:

Dement, W.C., and Kleitman, N. (1957). Cyclic Variations in EEG during
Sleep and their Relation to Eye Movements, Body Motility, and Dreaming. EEG
Clinical Neurophysiology 9: 673-690.

"With dreaming and hypnagogie reverie assigned to a definite EEG stage,
there exists at least a fairly consistent relation between the EEG and
levels of consciousness and it becomes possible to undertake the second
step of considering the neural origin of these patterns as representing the
basis of consciousness itself."

- This paper is long-winded (good for teaching skimming!), but it is
excellent for starting discussions of consciousness!

Aschoff, J. (1965). Circadian Rhythms in Man. Science 148 (3676):
1427-1432.

"Since in this case I myself was the subject, I can add a few remarks on
personal feelings. After a great curiousity about 'true time' during the
first 2 days of bunker life, I lost all interest in the matter and felt
perfectly comfortable to live 'timeless'."

- A short elegant paper, chronicling the original circadian bunker
experiments in which student volunteers (and Aschoff himself!) go into
isolation to experience timelessness.

Ralph M.R., Foster R.G., Davis F.C., Menaker M. (1990) Transplanted
Suprachiasmatic Nucleus Determines Circadian Period. Science 247:  975-978.
"Small neural grafts from the suprachiasmatic region restored circadian
rhythms to arrhythmic animals whose own nucleus had been ablated."

- Successful *brain transplants* after which the behavior of the host
animal is determined by the genotype of the donor.  Soooo cool!