[FUN_Mail] Teach stats?

Calin-Jageman, Robert via FUN_Mail fun_mail at lists.funfaculty.org
Wed Feb 4 23:35:07 EST 2015

Hello FUN members!

Are you the type of neuroscientist who also teaches statistics, methods, or design?

I'm helping with Geoff Cumming's new stats textbook, which will emphasize using an estimation approach over NHST (though it will still teach the dreaded p values).   It's the undergrad version of his popular book Understanding the New Statistics (http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-The-New-Statistics-Meta-Analysis/dp/041587968X ).  The publisher, Routledge, is looking for some additional reviewers.

I don't have all the details yet on pages, pay, etc., but I was hoping there might be some FUN members interested in this as a short-term summer project-this could be fun if you're already teaching estimation approaches, but it could also be a good read even if you're married forever to p values and just want to tell us that this whole 'new statistics' thing is silliness.  The goal is simply to get feedback from a very broad range of disciplines/backgrounds involved in teaching inferential stats.

If you think you might at all be interested and are willing to let me pass on your name/email to Routledge to bother you, please email me back (directly to RCalinJageman at dom.edu<mailto:RCalinJageman at dom.edu>, not to the whole list).  You can always decline once you get the details or if you find yourself too busy-the only commitment at this point would be the willingness to get an email from the publisher with more info.

Cheers, and may your confidence intervals be narrow,

Bob

-------------------
Bob Calin-Jageman
Neuroscience Program Director