[FUN_Mail] Grad School question

Bob Rosenberg via FUN_Mail fun_mail at lists.funfaculty.org
Fri Feb 20 16:48:43 EST 2015

When I served on admissions committees in Neurobiology and Pharmacology at UNC-Chapel Hill (1995-2009), we looked carefully for evidence that the applicant had already engaged in a real research experience. This could be post-baccalaureate full-time research for 1-2 years, but it could also be an immersive summer research experience or 1-2 years of honors-level research during the school year. Full-time research after college was great, but we didn't required it. What we required was evidence that the applicant had already struggled with research, tested hypotheses, solved problems in the lab, etc., and was enthusiastic about doing more of it.

So the statement "it is very hard to get into grad school directly from college without several years working in a research lab" is not exactly wrong but it is an overstatement. I would say "it is very hard to get into grad school directly from college without an immersive research experience."

My $0.02,
Robert Rosenberg, PhD
Professor of Biology
Earlham College