[FUN_Mail] PhD position available at University of St Andrews

Stefan Pulver via FUN_Mail fun_mail at lists.funfaculty.org
Sun Feb 22 14:42:42 EST 2015

Dear FUN colleagues,
I have just started a lab in Scotland and I am now trying to recruit graduate students. I have a funded PhD position available that I’d like to let everyone know about. Details are in attached and copied below. I’d be most grateful if you could post the advert in your home departments and also pass the word along to anyone who might be interested in doing a PhD in the UK.
Thanks in advance,
Stefan Pulver

Stefan Pulver
School of Psychology and Neuroscience
University of St Andrews
St Andrews, UK
KY16 9JP
ph:+44 (0) 1334 463503

________________________________

Project Title: Homeostatic regulation of neural network output by sodium potassium pumps

Project Overview: This funded PhD project aims to explore the role that sodium-potassium (Na/K) pumps play as computational elements within neural networks. Na/K pumps have traditionally been considered to be ‘housekeeping’ proteins in neuronal membranes that simply maintain ionic gradients across cell membranes. Recent research has challenged this and demonstrated that Na/K pump currents play dynamic roles in sensing and regulating neural activity(1,2). The goal of this studentship is to combine unique molecular genetic tools available in Drosophila as well as ‘database’ modeling approaches(3,4) to examine the role that Na/K pumps play in homeostatically regulating neural activity at both the single neuron and network level using the larval locomotor system of Drosophila. You will receive training in neurogenetics, live imaging of neural activity using genetically encoded calcium indicators, optogenetics, patch clamp electrophysiology and conductance based modelling of neurons. Because Na/K pumps are conserved features of neural networks, our work in Drosophila is well positioned to make contributions that have relevance for medical communities.

Selected References: 1) Pulver SR, Griffith LC (2010) Nat Neurosci 13, 53-59 2) Zhang HY, Sillar KT Curr Biol 22, 526-531 3) Prinz AA et al. (2003) J Neurophysiol 90, 3998-4015 4) Hudson AE, Prinz AA PLoS computational biology 6, e1000838

Host department and supervisors: This project will be hosted by the School of Psychology and Neuroscience at St Andrews University in Scotland. The student will work under supervision of Dr. Stefan Pulver and Prof. Keith Sillar (St Andrews) in collaboration with Dr. Astrid Prinz (Emory University). Further information on the host department and participants is available here:
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/psychology/
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/stefan-pulver/85/76b/444
http://ibans.st-andrews.ac.uk/person/kts1/
http://www.biology.emory.edu/research/Prinz/

Candidate Profile: Candidates who have completed undergraduate and/or masters studies and have demonstrated commitment to undertaking independent research in biology are encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate will have a degree in neuroscience or related discipline. Additional experience in optics, programming, and/or quantitative experimental approaches would be beneficial.

What does the studentship entail?
-3 years tax free stipend
-3 years full tuition fees*
-Opportunities for international travel
*May vary depending on nationality and UK/EU residency.

Applications: CV, cover letter and names of 3 references should be submitted directly to Dr. Pulver (sp96 at st-andrews.ac.uk<mailto:sp96 at st-andrews.ac.uk>). Informal inquiries are welcome.

Closing date for Applications: March 31, 2015