[FUN_Mail] FW: Volunteer to be an after school STEM mentor!

Ramirez, Julio juramirez at davidson.edu
Mon Aug 29 14:22:00 EDT 2016

FYI FUN colleagues in the NYC area....

From: Tanya Khan [mailto:tkhan at nyas.org]
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 2:09 PM
Subject: Volunteer to be an after school STEM mentor!

Greetings!

The New York Academy of Sciences is pleased to announce that mentor recruitment is now open for the Afterschool STEM Mentoring Program (ASMP)! For ASMP, we are recruiting undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and STEM professionals in New York City and Newark, New Jersey to mentor underserved middle and high school students once a week in afterschool programs through organizations like the YMCA and the Boys and Girls Clubs.
Mentors work in pairs to teach a variety of curriculum ranging from genetics to space science and can receive an Academy Mentoring Credential for completing a semester of teaching and training.  For more about the program visit this link http://www.nyas.org/landing/afterschool.aspx.  If you would like to apply to be a STEM Mentor please visit the Academy's "Mentor Portal" at www.nyas.org/stemmentor<http://www.nyas.org/stemmentor>.

The Academy has worked with a number of student groups in the past.  If your club is looking to expand its outreach and you're looking for partners let us know!  We can setup a meeting to talk about options for going forward.

Tanya Khan
AmeriCorps VISTA member at The New York Academy of The Sciences
mailto:tkhan at nyas.org

The New York Academy of Sciences
7 World Trade Center
250 Greenwich Street, FL 40