[FUN_Mail] 2016 JUNE CrawFly Faculty Workshop - June 22-26, 2016 - Ithaca, NY

Calin-Jageman, Robert rcalinjageman at dom.edu
Wed Mar 23 21:28:33 EDT 2016

FUN CrawFly Letter

Dear FUN friends,

The 2016 JUNE CrawFly Faculty Workshop, sponsored by ADInstruments and the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior at Cornell University, will be held Weds, June 22 through Sunday, June 26, 2016, at Cornell in Ithaca NY.

Workshop details can be found at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/crawfly-invertebrate-neurophysiology-course-tickets-21385675130 .   This workshop will be taught by Bob Wyttenbach (Emory University), Ilya Vilinsky (University of Cincinnati), Karen Hibbard (HHMI at Janelia Research Campus), Wes Colgan and other ADInstruments educators, and Ron Hoy, David Deitcher and myself (Cornell University).   We'll begin the workshop with tutorials on the use of LabChart software for acquisition and analysis of electrophysiological and behavioral data, and for control of external devices like those used for electrical and opto-genetic nerve stimulation.  We'll first work with classic and new Crawdad invertebrate lab exercises to present basic electrophysiological techniques used to study principles of signal transmission in the nervous system. Then we'll explore student lab exercises that opto-genetically manipulate fruitfly behavior and physiology.   Participants will make their own optical stimulators to take home.  Brainstorming sessions on best practices in laboratory and classroom teaching are always a part of our workshops.

Scholarships for tuition and other support are available to encourage participant diversity and the interests of beginning faculty and graduate students/post-docs in teaching practical laboratory courses in neuroscience.  Note scholarship application deadline: April 21, 2016, with awards announcement by May 1, 2016.  Contact me for questions.

Best wishes,
Bruce Johnson