[FUN_Mail] Networking advice request

Judith Ogilvie ogilviej at slu.edu
Tue Sep 27 11:24:14 EDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

I typically have funding for only one major conference each year and
generally attend ARVO (Association for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology)
rather that SfN. At last year’s meeting, I spoke with a colleague that was
lamenting the lack of networking for faculty who balance their research
with undergraduate teaching as opposed to med school research - not just
PUIs, but also PhD granting Biology departments where research is required
but often not as well supported. In order to start building a network, I
would like to take advantage of ARVO’s Special Interest Group sessions.
These 90 minute sessions typically have 3-5 panelists who talk for up to 35
minutes followed by open discussion, Q&A, networking.

So here are my questions for my FUN colleagues:

1)    Can those of you who have been involved in SfN activities provide
suggestions for topics and hoopefully even some talking points or slides?
At this stage, we specifically want to target faculty, not
members-in-training, in order to build this group before offering advice to
trainees.

My colleague & I have collaborated on curriculum development and could talk
on the topic of “Bringing your research into the classroom.” It would be
better if we focused on different topics, but off the top of my head, I’m
coming up blank. I have a third colleague who expressed interest in
participating, but also did not suggest a topic. I remember seeing a post
on this list serve that included a session on how to fund animal care and
vet staff at PUIs and thinking that I wish I could attend that session
since mouse bills are hampering my research, so if anyone would like to
share those suggestions, I'd love to have them. Any and all other ideas are
appreciated.

2)    Are any of you planning to attend ARVO in Baltimore in May 7-11, 2017
and interested in participating? If there are any Baltimore non-retina
people interested in contributing, let me know and I will find out if it is
possible to have non-ARVO members participate in a single event as a guest.

Thanks in advance,
-Judy Ogilvie

Judith Mosinger Ogilvie, Ph.D., FARVO
Associate Professor of Biology