[FUN_Mail] Networking advice request

Lori McGrew lori.mcgrew at belmont.edu
Tue Sep 27 11:39:02 EDT 2016

I'm not sure whether your teaching requirements are generally focused more on general courses like Principles of Biology and Human Anatomy or on specific courses in your discipline.  If you teach more general courses, one topic that I find helpful to discuss with my colleagues is choice of textbook, online resources and lab activities.  For example, online homework/quiz supplements like Pearson's mastering series can be useful but don't meet the needs of all instructors.  The opportunity to hear why my colleagues choose the resources they select is really helpful to me -- even if I then choose not to use those resources.

Another topic to consider would be the use of case studies in teaching -- how do you use them, where do you find them, do you write your own, how do students respond to them, etc. NCCST has a good selection along with a conference and workshops on the topic.

Hope that helps!

Lori McGrew, PhD
Professor of Biology
Coordinator of Neuroscience