[FUN_Mail] Question on grad school applications

Jacqueline K. Morris jmorris at bw.edu
Wed Oct 18 19:35:44 EDT 2017

Meg,
That is an interesting dilemma.  Perhaps the graduate schools are doing this for social media that might be academic/professoinal.  For instance making youtube videos that teach about science.  I had a graduate who did this.  I would advise them to provide only links to social media that is professional in nature. LinkedIn or an account that they have for professional reasons. They could also create professional accounts and use these in the application.  I agree this is too personal if they want their Facebook that is mainly with friends and family.

A few years ago at SfN, I went to a networking workshop and the suggestion was to follow scientists on social media that you are interested in working with or would like to collaborate.  I know other who use social media to promote their research.  We encourage people to do this at SfN during lectures. I think that if we advise students to have both a professional and personal account then they can link to the professional account for this purpose.
Regards,
Jackie

Jacqueline K. Morris, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology