[FUN_Mail] Highlighting diversity in neuroscience

Harrington, Ian ianharrington at augustana.edu
Tue Dec 18 16:52:42 EST 2018

Bruce Johnson brought this exchange to the attention of Aaron Cecala and me
as special editors of the 'Amazing Papers in Neuroscience' section of JUNE.
It's possible that a collaborative manuscript with a focus on Amazing
Diversity in Neuroscience could fit some of the needs expressed here. I was
thinking of one in the tradition of the first offering (Harrington et al.,
2015, JUNE
<http://www.funjournal.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/june-14-r3-14.pdf>)
in which each of a collection of authors would be responsible for a section
highlighting a particular person's work. This could be done in tandem with
a teaching module like the one William Ju described or an Open Science
Framework resource page like the one Bob C-J described earlier.

Feel free to contact either or both of us if this is an avenue you'd like
to explore.

While I have everyone's attention, I would add Santiago Ramon y Cajal to
the list of great stories in this area. The details of what he had to
overcome in terms of 19th century European prejudice to become the
celebrated figure he is, as outlined for me in Richard Rapport's book
'Nerve Endings', are pretty inspirational.

Ian

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 2:28 PM Bob Calin-Jageman <rcalinjageman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Kristen and all,
>
> I teach at an HSI, so I like to try to highlight Latinx contributions to
> neuroscience.  Two I've found that students connect to are Paul Bach-Y-Rita
> and Miguel Nicolelis.
>
> Bach-y-Rita grew up in Mexico.  He was a visionary in terms of thinking
> about neuroplasticity and helped develop sensory substitution devices.  The
> company he helped found, BrainPort, has been making great advances treating
> vertigo, stroke-induced balance problems, and other disorders through
> sensory subsitution.  There's a great short overview of his research and
> legacy here: https://vimeo.com/59755393 ... it's really an incredible
> story.
>
> And, of course, Nicolelis is famous for his work decoding the motor cortex
> and developing neuroprosthetics (including the controversial first kick of
> the 2014 World Cup in Brazil).
>
> Both have accessible primary literature articles that students can dig
> into as well as good review articles and online talks/documentaries.
>
> Here's a Nicolelis article that merge's with Bach-y-Rita's work, where
> they attach infrared light sensors to the head of a rat and pipe the info
> from it into the somatosensory cortex...the rats learn to use this
> information without loosing somatosensory inputs!
>        Thomson EE, Carra R, Nicolelis MAL. 2013. Perceiving invisible
> light through a somatosensory cortical prosthesis. Nat Commun 4: 1–7. PMID:
> 23403583. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ncomms2497.
>
> And here's a pilot trial from Bach-y-Rita's group that examines the use of
> the BrainPort to improve balance in stroke patients:
>     https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003999311002486
>

> I'd be happy to hear from more FUN folks about stories/people they
> highlight... maybe we should even crowd-source an OSF page as a resource?
>

> Bob
>

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 8:14 AM William Ju <wmyh.ju at utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
>> Echoing Judith's sentiment - her story is a very interesting/compelling
>> one as well!
>>

>> Dr. William Ju, M.Sc., Ph.D.
>> Associate Professor, Teaching Stream
>> University of Toronto
>> *Subject:* Re: [FUN_Mail] Highlighting diversity in neuroscience
>>
>> If you include any development in your course, consider some of Rita
>> Levi-Montalcini’s classic papers.  She has a compelling personal story.
>> - Judy Ogivie
>>

>> On Dec 14, 2018, at 7:52 PM, William Ju <wmyh.ju at utoronto.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kristen
>>
>> I  teach a 3rd year neurobiology course (several in fact) and it sounds
>> similar in scope to yours. I like to highlight the work of Carl Hart
>> (African American psychologist and chair of Culumbia University) as well as
>> Ben Barres (born Barbara Barres). There are also more controversial ones
>> that I highlight - and happy to discuss these too! Great to see this
>> working in to mainstream neuro and would love to see the assignments you
> [...]

*Ian A. Harrington, Ph.D.*

Chair, Dept. of Psychology & Neuroscience

Augustana College

639 38th St., Rock Island, IL 61201

011 Evald Hall, (309) 794-7243