[FUN_Mail] Storytelling session at SFN in Chicago

Ronald J Bayline rjbayline at washjeff.edu
Thu Jan 3 16:31:38 EST 2019

Dear FUN members,

Are you interested in storytelling as a means of scientific communication?  Do you have a story to tell regarding how your undergraduate experience shaped your career?  If so, we have an opportunity for you!  Recently, the Society for Neuroscience sent out a request for proposals for symposia, socials, and a new category of sessions—storytelling sessions—at the 2019 meeting in Chicago.  Following discussions with other FUN members, Dr. Veronica Martinez Acosta and I are hoping to submit a proposal for a storytelling session that centers on the undergraduate experience.  And we would like to invite you to participate.

Why are we doing this?

Undergraduate neuroscience is often poorly represented at SFN beyond what we do through FUN.  Our members often sponsor pedagogical symposia, we have the FUN sponsored poster session, but there are few other avenues for discussing the undergraduate experience at the meeting.  We feel that this will have broad appeal to the general membership because our stories can help us to communicate with each other what was important during our own undergraduate experiences. These ideas can then help shape our teaching of the next generation of neuroscientists.

What is the storytelling session?

The details of the storytelling session can be found on the SFN website at this link (http://www.sfn.org/Meetings/Neuroscience-2019/Proposals-for-2019-Storytelling-Session<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfn.org%2FMeetings%2FNeuroscience-2019%2FProposals-for-2019-Storytelling-Session&data=02%7C01%7Cvgmartin%40uiwtx.edu%7Cc8b2f900fd5b4deb273908d671befd46%7C0625d309c5bc41209828ea3d7071af19%7C0%7C0%7C636821462459727211&sdata=8%2BrzibplDxf1FNiw7wDz84I5ZPHxdC1JCedFqDi4XEc%3D&reserved=0>).  There aren’t many details on the length of the presentations, but I would expect that these presentations would be of similar length to other short talks or symposia presentations.

What do we need?

If you are interested in storytelling, and if you feel you have a good story about how your own undergraduate experience shaped your career in neuroscience, please feel free to submit an idea to me or Veronica.  If you have had experience with storytelling, please let us know.  At this time, we only need your contact info, a title for your session, and any experience you have had with storytelling as a means of communication.  We need to submit 3-5 names to SFN for our proposal.

What’s in it for you?

All participants will get free registration at SFN, and also a chance to book hotel rooms prior to the general registration for the meeting.

When do we need the information?

Unfortunately, the deadline is looming for submissions—January 8.  If you are interested, please contact us by 8 PM EST on Saturday, Jan. 5 if you are interested.  We can then discuss with you the specifics to see if you would like to participate.  We realize that this is extremely short notice, but hope that some among you may be interested in this new form of SFN session.

Who do I contact if I am interested?

You can contact Veronica (vgmartin at uiwtx.edu<mailto:vgmartin at uiwtx.edu>) or me (rjbayline at washjeff.edu<mailto:rjbayline at washjeff.edu>) if you are interested, or if you have questions.  Remember that replying to this email will reply to the whole listserv!!  We will be in touch with you to answer any of your questions.

Thank you,

Ron Bayline

Ronald J. Bayline

Professor and Chair, Biology Department