[FUN_Mail] Storytelling session at SFN in Chicago

Megan Hagenauer hagenaue at umich.edu
Thu Jan 3 16:46:04 EST 2019

Hi Ron and Veronica,
I love the idea.  Are you picturing this as being more like a Moth Story
Hour or a formal powerpoint presentation? (or, perhaps even more fun: a
"fuck-up night" monologue? https://fuckupnights.com)
Also, if we are telling stories about our undergraduate experience and our
old mentors are attending the conference, could we co-present?
Cheers,
Megan

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 4:31 PM Ronald J Bayline <rjbayline at washjeff.edu>
wrote:

> Dear FUN members,
>

> Are you interested in storytelling as a means of scientific
> communication?  Do you have a story to tell regarding how your
> undergraduate experience shaped your career?  If so, we have an opportunity
> for you!  Recently, the Society for Neuroscience sent out a request for
> proposals for symposia, socials, and a new category of
> sessions—storytelling sessions—at the 2019 meeting in Chicago.  Following
> discussions with other FUN members, Dr. Veronica Martinez Acosta and I are
> hoping to submit a proposal for a storytelling session that centers on the
> undergraduate experience.  And we would like to invite you to participate.
>

> *Why are we doing this?*
>
> Undergraduate neuroscience is often poorly represented at SFN beyond what
> we do through FUN.  Our members often sponsor pedagogical symposia, we have
> the FUN sponsored poster session, but there are few other avenues for
> discussing the undergraduate experience at the meeting.  We feel that this
> will have broad appeal to the general membership because our stories can
> help us to communicate with each other what was important during our own
> undergraduate experiences. These ideas can then help shape our teaching of
> the next generation of neuroscientists.
>

> *What is the storytelling session?*
>
> The details of the storytelling session can be found on the SFN website at
> this link (
> http://www.sfn.org/Meetings/Neuroscience-2019/Proposals-for-2019-Storytelling-Session
> <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfn.org%2FMeetings%2FNeuroscience-2019%2FProposals-for-2019-Storytelling-Session&data=02%7C01%7Cvgmartin%40uiwtx.edu%7Cc8b2f900fd5b4deb273908d671befd46%7C0625d309c5bc41209828ea3d7071af19%7C0%7C0%7C636821462459727211&sdata=8%2BrzibplDxf1FNiw7wDz84I5ZPHxdC1JCedFqDi4XEc%3D&reserved=0>).
> There aren’t many details on the length of the presentations, but I would
> expect that these presentations would be of similar length to other short
> talks or symposia presentations.
>

> *What do we need?*
>
> If you are interested in storytelling, and if you feel you have a good
> story about how your own undergraduate experience shaped your career in
> neuroscience, please feel free to submit an idea to me or Veronica.  If you
> have had experience with storytelling, please let us know.  At this time,
> we only need your contact info, a title for your session, and any
> experience you have had with storytelling as a means of communication.  We
> need to submit 3-5 names to SFN for our proposal.
>

> *What’s in it for you?*
>
> All participants will get free registration at SFN, and also a chance to
> book hotel rooms prior to the general registration for the meeting.
>

> *When do we need the information?*
>
> Unfortunately, the deadline is looming for submissions—January 8.  If you
> are interested, please contact us by *8 PM EST on Saturday, Jan. 5* if
> [...]

Megan Hastings Hagenauer, Ph.D.

Assistant Research Scientist in the Molecular, Behavioral Neuroscience
Institute
Instructor in the Department of Psychology & Neuroscience Graduate Program
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor