[FUN_Mail] FW: [External] Re: PUI Departmental Self Study and Service Requirements
rcalinjageman at dom.edu
Sat Feb 1 20:16:24 EST 2020
Here's a reply from Kurt Illig.
<< Just a note that the listserv only send mail from registered email addresses. So if you reply from an account you didn't register, the listserv won't deliver your message!>>
From: Illig, Kurt R. <illi8559 at stthomas.edu>
You might also look to FUN's own Program and Department Consultations Service, offered to undergraduate programs and departments through the FUN Committee on Education. Developed in response to an increasing need for evaluations, the consultation service provides undergraduate neuroscience programs and departments with a list of qualified consultants who will provide feedback that will enable them to improve their programs.
The PDCS maintains a database of faculty consultants with expertise in a broad range of areas. Specific areas include:
* Curriculum (evaluation, development, designing/improving special programs or courses, research experiences or honors)
* Faculty (writing grant proposals, developing funding sources, writing for publication, promoting professional development/mentoring, enhancing/evaluating teacher effectiveness)
* Advising (student advising for career planning, graduate school preparation, changing enrollments, minority recruitment and retention)
* Research facilities (designing neuroscience labs, designing teaching facilities, computer applications for courses, labs, or administration)
* Departmental program evaluation (self-assessments, program evaluation, department evaluation)
If you are interested in arranging for a FUN Consultation please contact Eric Wiertelak (wiertelak at Macalester.edu<mailto:wiertelak at Macalester.edu>).
Kurt R. Illig, PhD
Department of Biology and
Interdisciplinary Neuroscience Program
President-Elect, Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience
krillig at stthomas.edu<mailto:krillig at stthomas.edu>
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu<https://www.stthomas.edu/>
From: FUN_Mail <fun_mail-bounces at lists.funfaculty.org<mailto:fun_mail-bounces at lists.funfaculty.org>> on behalf of Karen Gunther <guntherk at wabash.edu<mailto:guntherk at wabash.edu>>
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2020 9:04 AM
To: Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience Mailing List <fun_mail at lists.funfaculty.org<mailto:fun_mail at lists.funfaculty.org>>
Subject: [External] Re: [FUN_Mail] PUI Departmental Self Study and Service Requirements
The Council on Undergraduate Research does offer external review services - the psychology division does, and biology probably does. www.cur.org<http://www.cur.org>
At Wabash College, faculty (campus wide, not just in psych) are expected to participate in community activities, but not all of them. The faculty realize that there are just too many things to do on campus (including sports, concerts, plays, fraternity faculty dinners), and we need to get teaching/grading and scholarship done (the students don't always realize this - or don't always realize that we need to sleep and spend time on our personal lives/families). So we are expected to go to some events. Admissions events perhaps have a bit higher expectation, just because that is how we get our students and thus our future salaries - maybe more-so here because we have a small student body (<900 across all four years), so every freshman that we recruit is important. (And for those who don't know, Wabash has an all-male student body, hence no sorority dinners, and freshMAN is an appropriate term.)
Dr. Karen L. Gunther, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair of Psychology
Daniel F. Evans Associate Professor in Social Science
Chair, Institutional Review Board
301 W. Wabash Ave.
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
From: FUN_Mail [mailto:fun_mail-bounces at lists.funfaculty.org] On Behalf Of Calin-Jageman, Robert
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2020 8:50 AM
To: fun_mail at lists.funfaculty.org<mailto:fun_mail at lists.funfaculty.org>; adrienne.betz at quinnipiac.edu<mailto:adrienne.betz at quinnipiac.edu>; adriennebetz at gmail.com<mailto:adriennebetz at gmail.com>
Subject: [FUN_Mail] FW: PUI Departmental Self Study and Service Requirements
Here is a question to the FUN listserv posted by Adrienne Betz. Please respond back to her at: adriennebetz at gmail.com<mailto:adriennebetz at gmail.com>
I am seeking advice on two distinct but related PUI departmental matters.
1) How does one discover colleagues that are experts or have extensive experience as external reviewers? word of mouth? Is there a data base or academic service that connects departments with appropriate reviewers? We are planning a self study next year and I am looking to compile a list of potential external reviewers.
2) Service requirements: Is anyone willing to share with me their written and/or unwritten rules or culture about departmental service specifically in regards to attendance at a) open houses b) admitted students day c) graduation d) school or departmental wide BBQ/picnics e) orientations d) evening events etc etc. Please PM me if easier to discuss privately.
Adrienne J. Betz Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Director, Behavioral Neuroscience Program
Professor of Medical Sciences
Mail drop BC-SCI
275 Mt. Carmel Avenue
Hamden, CT 06518
Lab: 203-582-8292 (no messages)
adrienne.betz at quinnipiac.edu<mailto:adrienne.betz at quinnipiac.edu>
Textbook: Sdorow, Rickabaugh and Betz 8th edition<https://www.academicmediasolutions.com/sdorow-psychology-8e>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the FUN_Mail