[FUN_Mail] Lake Forest College Search for 3-Yr Visiting Assistant Professor in Biology

DebBurman, Shubhik debburma at mx.lakeforest.edu
Mon Feb 3 18:33:48 EST 2020

Dear colleagues

The following search ad will appear in Science and other places this week.  Please do encourage interested individuals to apply! I am happy to answer any questions you or they may have.

Many thanks,
Shubhik

The Lake Forest College Biology Department invites applications for a Visiting Assistant Professor, starting August, 2020. The position is for up to three years, renewable each year. We are seeking a highly qualified biologist to teach an existing 200-level Molecules, Genes, and Cells core course with lab, and existing 300-level courses in Animal Physiology and Neurobiology. Postdoctoral experience and demonstrated excellence in teaching beyond traditional TA experience are preferred. Successful candidates will demonstrate enthusiasm for a liberal arts education.

The Biology Department offers a research lab with shared use of equipment, a small research grant, and support for undergraduate researchers. We will provide outstanding mentoring for someone interested in a future tenure-track position, especially at a liberal arts college. Our department has federally-funded laboratories and a new science building including a research-grade greenhouse, tissue culture lab, and aquatic and terrestrial vivaria. Members of the Biology Department actively engage in interdisciplinary programs in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Environmental Studies, and Neuroscience.

A highly selective liberal arts college located on Chicago’s North Shore, Lake Forest College enrolls approximately 1,600 students from more than 40 states and from more than 70 countries.  At Lake Forest College, the quality of a faculty member’s teaching is the most important criterion for evaluation. Lake Forest is one of the most diverse small colleges in the Midwest with nearly 40% of our student body comprised of domestic minority and international students. The majority of our STEM pool is female and also includes a significant number of first generation and traditionally underrepresented students. Lake Forest College embraces diversity and encourages applications from women, members of historically underrepresented groups, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.

In a single PDF, please send the following: 1) cover letter that describes your motivation for applying to Lake Forest College, 2) curriculum vitae, 3) statement of teaching philosophy, 4) one-page research plan with undergraduates, and 5) diversity statement that describes your experience with and plans to increase recruitment, retention, and success of diverse students in a liberal arts environment. Please request that two letters be sent directly from recommenders. All documents should be sent electronically to Professor Karen Kirk, biosearch at lakeforest.edu<mailto:biosearch at lakeforest.edu>. We will start reviewing applications on February 26 and will continue until the position is filled.

Shubhik K. DebBurman, Ph.D.
Disque D. and Carol Gram Deane Professor of Biological Sciences
Senior Director for Science Partnerships
Chair, Biology Department
Member, Neuroscience Program and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Program
Lake Forest College
Past-President, Nu Rho Psi National Council<https://nurhopsi.org/>
Director, Chicago Brain Bee<https://chicagosfn.org/community-outreach/brain-bee/>

Ph: (847)-735-6040; Email: debburman at lfc.edu<mailto:debburman at lfc.edu>