[FUN_Mail] Open book/on-line exam questions

Judith Ogilvie judith.ogilvie at slu.edu
Sun Mar 8 19:10:06 EDT 2020

I'm scheduled to give an exam next week, right after spring break. I was finishing my first draft of the exam when I realized that many of the students should probably be self-quarantined when they return to campus, so now I'm trying to think about alternative ways to finish the semester.... or at least get through the next week. An open-book or on-line exam seems like a great alternative, but I have never written an open-book exam before and am not sure how to think about it. Does anyone have specific and/or constructive suggestions? It seems like students could google any question I might ask that addresses content learning objectives. A bunch of open-ended essay questions seems like a nightmare to grade, so if that is what you have done, suggestions about rubrics and how to make grading easier are also needed. This is an upper-level class with 30 students on Neurobiology of Disease.

Thanks,
Judy O

Judith Mosinger Ogilvie, Ph.D., FARVO
Associate Professor of Biology

Co-Director, Neuroscience Program

Saint Louis University

Office:  Morrissey 2513

3700 Lindell Boulevard
St. Louis, MO  63108
email:      judith.ogilvie at slu.edu<mailto:ogilviej at slu.edu>
Phone:     314-977-3965<file://localhost/tel/314-977-3965>
Fax:         314-977-1014<file://localhost/tel/314-977-3658>

Lab:         Schwitalla M109

1402 South Grand Avenue

St. Louis, MO 63104

Phone:     314-977-1711<file://localhost/tel/314-977-3965>