[FUN_Mail] New P/F Options and Advice for Students Considering Grad School

Judith Ogilvie judith.ogilvie at slu.edu
Mon Mar 30 13:15:57 EDT 2020

I am on the grad admissions committee at Saint Louis University, Biology Dept. I would much rather see a grade with an asterisk than a P. Especially if it is a C, because otherwise I might assume it would have been a D-. I'm teaching during this craziness, I'm talking to my colleagues and my students so I know how to make allowances for the circumstances when I review a transcript. If I see a P, I don't have any way to interpret it and will likely ignore it, limiting my attention to courses that do have grades. We're not sure what the fall will bring, so it might be more than one semester on-line. Just my perspective, others may differ.

BUT (and this is important): a lot of programs that have accreditations (med schools, clinical psych, PA, optometry, etc) are NOT relaxing their standards. If a student changes their mind and decides to go to one of these programs instead of grad school, they may have to retake the class. I just saw Beth Wee's post while I was writing this. I don't know if our system will be able to keep both grades or not.
-Judy Ogilvie

Judith Mosinger Ogilvie, Ph.D., FARVO
Associate Professor of Biology

Co-Director, Neuroscience Program

Saint Louis University

email:      judith.ogilvie at slu.edu<mailto:ogilviej at slu.edu>

                             The Real Work

It may be that when we no longer know what to do

                we have come to our real work,

and that when we no longer know which way to go

              we have come to our real journey.

     The mind that is not baffled is not employed.

       The impeded stream is the one that sings.

                           ~ Wendell Berry ~