[FUN_Mail] Help getting the word out for our human/computational search?

Annaliese Beery abeery at smith.edu
Thu Oct 1 11:51:06 EDT 2020

Dear FUN colleagues,
We are hiring two neuroscientists at Smith College in the coming year, and we are extending the deadline for applications to October 15th. In particular, we got fewer applicants to the human neuroscience position (see below) than we expected, so if any of you can think of colleagues in this area who could help us get the word out, please let us (and them) know!

I can’t say enough good things about the neuroscience program at Smith, our students, or the campus, and we are excited to have new colleagues join us.

Thanks,
Annaliese
Annaliese Beery, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Smith College
Psychology Department; Neuroscience Program

Ad reposted with the Chronicle of Higher Education, High Ed Job, Inside Higher Education
Original is here: https://apply.interfolio.com/78413 <https://apply.interfolio.com/78413>

Assistant Professor of Neuroscience
Smith College: Massachusetts: Program in Neuroscience
Location
Northampton, MA
Open Date
Aug 27, 2020
Description
Review by date extended to October 15, 2020

The Neuroscience Program at Smith College invites applications for two tenure-track positions at the rank of Assistant Professor, to begin July 1, 2021. One position is in the area of cellular/molecular neuroscience, and one is in human neuroscience with emphasis on computational analysis. Successful candidates should be prepared to engage actively with liberal arts students of diverse backgrounds. Teaching responsibilities for both positions include both introductory and advanced courses (2 fall and 2 spring), including courses centered on the candidate’s field of specialization.  Our introductory curriculum includes Fundamentals of Neuroscience and Experimental Methods in Neuroscience.  Successful candidates for the cellular/molecular position must be able to teach an advanced course in Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience. We would welcome a human neuroscience candidate’s ability to offer a course using computational approaches within neuroscience.  A Ph.D. in Neuroscience or a related field is expected by the time of appointment, and teaching experience is recommended. Candidates from groups underrepresented in STEM are strongly encouraged to apply.

Located in Northampton, MA, Smith College is the largest women’s college in the country and is dedicated to excellence in teaching and research across the liberal arts. A faculty of outstanding scholars interacts with students in small classes, as academic advisors, and through student-faculty research projects. Smith College offers opportunities to foster faculty success at every career stage, such as those listed here. The College houses a number of research centers with instrumentation to support molecular biosciences, microscopy, and other collective needs, as well as an AAALAC accredited animal care facility housing a variety of research organisms. The College is a member of the Five College Consortium along with Amherst, Hampshire and Mt. Holyoke Colleges, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Students cross-enroll and some faculty cross-teach across the Five Colleges. Smith faculty may affiliate with UMass doctoral programs and can supervise MS and PhD students in their labs. Details about the Neuroscience Program may be found here.

Diversity and a culture of equity and inclusion among students, staff, faculty, and administration are crucial to the mission and values of Smith College. The entire college is currently engaged in multi-level strategic thinking and action about how to become an antiracist campus via this emergent plan. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or veteran status in the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of any of its programs and activities, as specified by all applicable laws and regulations. Women, historically underrepresented minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.

Application Instructions
Submit application at  http://apply.interfolio.com/78413 <http://apply.interfolio.com/78413> with a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, diversity/inclusion statement, research statement and the contact information for three confidential references. Finalists may be asked for additional materials. Review of applications will begin on October 15, 2020.