[FUN_Mail] CrawFly

Bruce Raymond Johnson brj1 at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 25 11:26:57 UTC 2021

Dear FUN friends,

I hope you all are healthy, vaccinated and surviving well your spring teaching.

The Summer 2021 CrawFly Workshop, sponsored by ADInstruments, will be virtual again.  It will run Wednesday, June 9 through Sunday, June 13.  The site announcement and registration with more detailed information for this neuroscience educator workshop is: [https://www.eventbrite.com/e/crawfly-virtual-invertebrate-neurophysiology-workshop-tickets-146792872433].

The workshop is taught by the CrawFly Faculty: Jim Ryan (Hobart-William Smith Colleges), Ron Hoy, David Deitcher and me (Cornell University), Ilya Vilinsky (University of Cincinnati), Karen Hibbard (HHMI at Janelia Research Campus), Bob Wyttenbach (Emory University) and ADInstruments educators lead by Emily Pease.   We’ll present CrawFly lab exercises to teach fundamental principles of signal transmission in the nervous system, tutorials on the use of LabChart software for acquisition and analysis of electrophysiological and behavioral data, and for control of electrical and opto-genetic nerve stimulation.   Do-It-Yourself (DIY) sessions now include making high quality micromanipulators at home and a demo of construction and use of an inexpensive, DIY fluorescent microscope for teaching and research.  In other sessions we’ll brainstorm on best practices in laboratory and classroom teaching, including virtual instruction, and interdisciplinary training for students and educators for big data neuroscience.

Contact Emily Pease (e.pease at adinstruments.com) or me with any questions.

best wishes,

Bruce Johnson

Bruce R. Johnson, Ph.D.