[FUN_Mail] New neurophysiology course

Richard Olivo rolivo at smith.edu
Wed Nov 10 16:46:53 UTC 2021

I'll add that my neurophysiology lab course has an open website with
procedures and videos for some of the same experiments, plus support for a
lab project on the central pattern generator for crayfish swimmerets. The
lab website is linked from http://tinyurl.com/SmithBio330, and a JUNE
article about the course was published in 2003:
https://www.funjournal.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/OlivoA16.pdf?x36670

We too use LabChart to record long episodes of repetitive firing, and I've
included instructions for handling those records on the website (see
https://www.science.smith.edu/departments/neurosci/courses/bio330R/LApowerlab.html).
I must add that I have been requesting a PST analysis channel from AD
Instruments for many years, and for many years I have been disappointed by
their courteous but (non) response. LabChart's instantaneous firing rate
for plotting the output from the spike histogram module overemphasizes
occasional short intervals between spikes. A PST plot would instead count
and plot spikes in equal time bins, with an adjustable binwidth. LabChart
actually has PST software for a pop-up window, but not for an analysis
channel that could be added to the original data record. As a result, we
often use integrals of activity, a workaround that is a bit tricky to use
because of the need to select a useful decay rate. I'd be glad to discuss
this further if anyone is interested, and details of our LabChart procedure
are in the webpage listed in this paragraph.

with best wishes,
Richard

--------
Richard F Olivo, PhD
Professor of Biological Sciences and Neuroscience, Smith College
Founding Editor, Educational Resources (ERIN), Society for Neuroscience
       44 College Lane, Smith College, Northampton MA 01063
       413 585-3822 • http://tinyurl.com/bio300http://tinyurl.com/smithbio330