[FUN_Mail] CrawFly San Antonio 2022

Bruce Raymond Johnson brj1 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 18 21:03:20 UTC 2021

Dear FUN friends,

Our first in-person CrawFly workshop in 2 years will be held at the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio January 4-8, 2022, sponsored by ADInstruments.

This workshop is taught by the CrawFly Faculty: Jim Ryan (Hobart-William Smith Colleges), Ron Hoy, David Deitcher, Ajinkya Dahake and me (Cornell University), Ilya Vilinsky (University of Cincinnati), Karen Hibbard (HHMI at Janelia Research Campus), Bob Wyttenbach (Emory University) and ADInstruments educators lead by David Riem.   We’ll present lab exercises to teach fundamental principles of signal transmission in the nervous system, tutorials on the use of LabChart software for acquisition and analysis of electrophysiological data and for control of direct electrical and opto-genetic nerve stimulation in crayfish and fruit flies for physiology and behavior.   DIY sessions include participant construction of high-quality micromanipulators and optogenetic light boxes to take home, and demonstration of the building and use of an inexpensive DIY fluorescence microscope for teaching and research.  In lunch sessions, we’ll brainstorm best practices in laboratory and classroom teaching, including virtual instruction, interdisciplinary training for students and educators for big data neuroscience, and see the latest educational developments from BackYardBrains.

The site announcement and registration with more detailed information for this neuroscience educator workshop is: [https://www.eventbrite.com/e/crawfly-invertebrate-neurophysiology-course-january-2022-tickets-204104842077].  **2 Scholarships are available for this workshop - please see information on the link above. Deadline to submit a scholarship application is December 1, 2021. Scholarship winners will be announced by December 10, 2021.**

Contact Bruce Johnson (brj1 at cornell.edu) for questions.

Bruce R. Johnson, Ph.D.
Dept of Neurobiology and Behavior
Mudd Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853

Office: 1134 Comstock Hall; Ph: 607-592-9184