[FUN_Mail] Olmsted 200 in 2022

Masino, Susan A. Susan.Masino at trincoll.edu
Mon Jan 31 19:29:16 UTC 2022

Hello FUN Members and FUN Friends--

We are now in 2022, the 200th anniversary of Frederick Law Olmsted's birthday, and I wanted to highlight a few opportunities among our community. Back in the 1800's, when most of the attention was on sanitation and avoiding disease, FLO was a big promoter of health and well being, clean air, democratic spaces for everyone, nature prescriptions (he spoke to doctors about this!), and enabling nature to engage the mind and yet relax it.

  *   You can highlight ANY relevant events (in person, virtual, long-term, interdisciplinary) on www.Olmsted200.org<http://www.Olmsted200.org> You can "submit an event." They also offered to help with social media and you/we are welcome to use their logo. They would love to engage students in any way possible, and this is a real interdisciplinary effort.
  *   Email me if you want to join the higher ed group (virtual, 1xmonth) or are interested in local events in the Hartford area: susan.masino at trincoll.edu<mailto:susan.masino at trincoll.edu>
  *   You can show this movie for free in class or similar events. There is a lot of health/history/neuroscience/psychology in it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YILfcbAjkJs Of course we are now quantifying all of the health benefits of nature, so finally catching up a bit!
  *   I am compiling an edited volume and I invite you to participate. Some of you may have community learning or research projects that would be a great fit. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oExvSuzT_ONVg9BUZM_5M4VbdX6JjmPuQaLtShX0Mig/edit

All the best,

Susan Masino
Trinity College