[FUN_Mail] Textbook for Introductory Neuroscience

Sandstrom, Michael I sands1m at cmich.edu
Thu May 18 14:26:22 UTC 2023

Hello FUN,

I'm not sure what sort of timeline everyone is going with for the search. I've been involved with a very healthy effort to produce a more fully introductory Neuroscience textbook for the ultimate beginner headed by Elizabeth Kirby from the Ohio State University. I've got a high sense of confidence that this will not overwhelm newcomers as one of the many authors.  I've heard that the final availability date might be Spring 2024 (this coming Spring) but Liz might have other information. The newer Purves Neuroscience 7 might be a bit more advanced as a true undergraduate "introductory" text. I'm planning on using it as a capitulation to a push for a more circumscribed text at the graduate level (had a great course going with Kandel et.al., Principles of Neural Science 6th edition 2021, and some graduate students complained it was too much reading, and we can't have that).

The other advantage of this new book coming out is that it will be online and easily accessible.

Kirby ED, Glenn MJ, Sandstrom NJ, and Williams CL (Eds.) Introduction to Behavioral Neuroscience, 1e. Houston, TX: OpenStax, date of publication pending.

Michael Sandstrom

Professor