[FUN_Mail] [External] Re: Textbook for Introductory Neuroscience

Judith Ogilvie judith.ogilvie at slu.edu
Thu May 18 15:19:11 UTC 2023

I don't teach intro so don't have a response to the original question, but do have a comment on updating textbooks. At one point, I taught Developmental Biology in alternating years, using Gilbert's classic text. They updated on a 3 year cycle so I updated my slides every time I taught it (last year of nth edition, middle year of n+1 ed, first year of n+2), which was time consuming, especially since the content that I actually taught hadn't changed as much as the organization. Someone pointed out to me that I could tell students to use the previous edition, which they could get on line for a lot cheaper. If you notify your bookstore in advance, they can do a buyback.
-Judy Ogilvie

Judith Mosinger Ogilvie, Ph.D., FARVO
Professor of Biology

Director, Neuroscience Program

Saint Louis University

pronouns: she/her/hers

email:      judith.ogilvie at slu.edu<mailto:ogilviej at slu.edu>

website:  https://judithogilvie.wixsite.com/mysite

"Balance is a false construct of a task-based world. Grace allows every one of us to invite peace and harmony into our soul."     — Nii Addy, neuroscientist, associate professor of psychiatry, Yale University