[FUN_Mail] Textbook for Introductory Neuroscience

Liz Kirby kirby.224osu at gmail.com
Thu May 18 16:22:11 UTC 2023

Hi, everyone. Yes, I, along with my co-editors (Melissa Glenn at Colby,
Noah Sandstrom at Williams and Christina Williams at Duke), are editing a
new, open access Introduction to Behavioral Neuroscience textbook. It is
targeted to a beginner undergrad audience--some of them will be future
neuroscience majors but many will not. Michael correctly describes our
target launch date: Spring 2024. We are being published by OpenStax.org,
which hosts open access textbooks for a variety of subjects. The book will
be freely available via their online textbook portal (they will also print
it out at cost if you want). We are funded primarily by an EAGER award from
NSF (IOS2035041
<https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2035041&HistoricalAwards=false>
).

Our book will have 20 chapters, listed at the end of this email. Increasing
the diversity of neuroscientists presented to undergraduates as authorities
in the field is one of our major goals so each chapter is being written by
a different author or set of authors. Our authors as a whole represent
diversity in race/ethnicity, gender, institution, and
geographical location. They are all experienced instructors at the
undergrad level with expertise in their chapter topic.

Our book will also feature *video methods chapters* where common
neuroscience techniques are explained and demonstrated by trainees in ~5
min. This seems like an opportune time to note that we have several methods
videos we would like covered but for which we do not have authors yet.
These videos are usually authored by graduate students or postdocs, but
faculty are also welcome to contribute, though we encourage featuring of
neuroscience trainees in the video footage. Please contact me if you know
someone who might be able to explain and demonstrate the following methods
in a 5 min video format to an beginner undergrad audience:

**EEG and sleep/seizures*

**PET*

**Quantifying RNA: qPCR, transcriptomics*

**Deep brain stimulation*

**Chemogenetics*

Chapters planned for Introduction to Behavioral Neuroscience (anticipated
launch Sp 2024).
Unit number Chapter

Cellular & molecular mechanisms of neural function
1 Structure of the nervous system (cells & anatomy)
2 Neuronal physiology
3 Neurochemistry

Evolution & development of the nervous system
4 Comparative neuroscience
5 Neurodevelopment

Sensory & motor systems
6 Vision
7 Hearing & balance
8 Chemical senses
9 Touch & pain
10 Motor control

Neuroendocrine systems & emotional regulation
11 Sexual behavior & development
12 Stress
13 Emotion & mood
14 Psychopharmacology

Internal regulation
15 Biological rhythms & sleep
16 Homeostasis
17 Neuroimmunology

Cognition
18 Learning & memory
19 Attention & executive function
20 Language

--
Liz Kirby, PhD
Associate Professor
kirby.224 at osu.edu

*I sometimes work at irregular hours. If this email arrives in your inbox
outside of your normal hours, I do not expect you to read it, act on it, or
reply to it immediately.*
-------------- next part --------------
   Hi, everyone. Yes, I, along with my co-editors (Melissa Glenn at Colby,
   Noah Sandstrom at Williams and Christina Williams at Duke), are
   editing a new, open access Introduction to Behavioral Neuroscience
   textbook. It is targeted to a beginner undergrad audience--some of them
   will be future neuroscience majors but many will not. Michael correctly
   describes our target launch date: Spring 2024. We are being published
   by OpenStax.org, which hosts open access textbooks for a variety of
   subjects. The book will be freely available via their online textbook
   portal (they will also print it out at cost if you want). We are funded
   primarily by an EAGER award from NSF ([1]IOS2035041).
[...]

   [3]
   Report Suspicious

   ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

   Hello FUN,

   I’m not sure what sort of timeline everyone is going with for the
   search. I’ve been involved with a very healthy effort to produce a more
   fully introductory Neuroscience textbook for the ultimate beginner
   headed by Elizabeth Kirby from the Ohio State University. I’ve got a
   high sense of confidence that this will not overwhelm newcomers as one
   of the many authors.  I’ve heard that the final availability date might
   be Spring 2024 (this coming Spring) but Liz might have other
   information. The newer Purves Neuroscience 7 might be a bit more
   advanced as a true undergraduate “introductory” text. I’m planning on
   using it as a capitulation to a push for a more circumscribed text at
   the graduate level (had a great course going with Kandel [4]et.al.,

   --
   [5]https://u.osu.edu/kirbylab/
   [6]kirby.224 at osu.edu
   I sometimes work at irregular hours. If this email arrives in your
   inbox outside of your normal hours, I do not expect you to read it, act
   on it, or reply to it immediately.

References

   1. https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2035041&HistoricalAwards=false
   2. mailto:sands1m at cmich.edu
   3. https://us-phishalarm-ewt.proofpoint.com/EWT/v1/KGKeukY!v0Qd0oZND6YAxRdxP47El52GiEdw3ebCHT6QdkAilZV1O7eGDRhqLM1aH0fUvxsriJNubtiCFL2iWRxbLW6xB-hZ0D2Jd1-Nht5G3SG09Uvm75cW-fAKh3Fc3kSpexjvT7nunLMEajHgFltj-w$
   4. http://et.al/
   5. https://u.osu.edu/kirbylab/
   6. mailto:kirby.224 at osu.edu